Tuesday, May 21, 2019

3F UL Gear Trajectory 55L

I bought the 35L version a few months ago, love it but I soon found it a bit too small if I want to bring more stuff.  The 35L is great for longer hiking and camping trip, but I certainly want more spaces for leisure trips.  I could not even bring a bigger tent with the 35L.

The 55L is an improved version of the 35L, it's not just bigger.  Let's name the differences below.

First of all, it comes with adjustable straps for the upper part, you will certainly miss this for the 35L version.  It's rather important for balancing if you fully load the bag.  So, it's a must to have them for this larger version.


Secondly, the supporting system is improved from a single aluminium strap for the 35L version to a double straps system for the 55L version.

Next, one of the major complains of the 35L version is the mesh bag.  It's big, but it's also messy, there is no separation and it's a big single compartment.  Things tend to mess up inside, and worst yet, the mesh bag will drop open when you open the main compartment, since there's no support other than the main strap which is shared with the main compartment.

For the 55L version, the mesh compartment is separated into three, and the separator also gives some sort of support so that even if the main strap is one, it stay in shape.  Things are now better organized inside!


Finally, there's another change.  I won't call it an improvement, nor it's something bad.  The zipper from the main compartment is gone:


It might reduce the maximum capacity a bit, but still, it's certainly nothing less than 55L.

With this bigger bad, I can now bring a bigger tent with me.  A lighter bag is the most important, since you will need a bag for whatever occasion, if the bag is lighter, your overall setup is going to be lighter.  If your tent is lighter, but if you choose another tent, your overall setup will not benefit from your lighter tent if it is left at home.

Call me crazy to bring another ultralight backpack within a few months, but I guess I won't need any other bag soon.  The only thing which I still want is a compartment for the hydration bladder, but I will try to use one on the mesh pocket later.  I guess it will work.