Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Indoor wireless phone

I have been using a indoor wireless phone at home for so many years. At the beginning, they work flawlessly, but then as they got more popular, the situation changed. Sometimes the handset would get disconnected from the base, and sometimes we would hear a lot of noise. I believe that this is because our neighbors are using something similar.



About one or two years ago, I've upgraded to a 2.4GHz model and all the problems were solved since then. It's not just about the frequency of the wireless signal, but it's also better algorithms behind. I'm not trying to talk about the technical detail, and actually, a real good product shall not put the end users into the technical detail.

In short, this kind of wireless phone will give:

  1. better voice quality, no more noise
  2. far bigger range, I can even use the handset down stair, something like over 100m away
  3. no more disconnection from the base station
I have introduced an audio based baby monitor before, you know what, sometimes I can still hear the conversation from my neighbors who should apparently be using the old school wireless phone. And it is just impossible with a 2.4GHz one!