Friday, January 20, 2017

Installing a pickup for my 17" ukulele

Ukulele is so small than you could take it anywhere with you. With my 17" ukulele, this is even more true but then the voice is relatively low for this little guy, and a separate tuner will lower the portability, too. So, I want to install a pickup with built-in tuner. After some searching, this one seems to fit the bill nicely.


As you could see above, this tuner has a 1:1 paper template for you to ease the cutting process.  Anyway, let's start with the simplest step first.

Reduce the tension of the strings, and then take the saddle out.


Drill a hole to put the pickup under the saddle.  One should file down the saddle to compensate for the added thickness... I didn't do it at first, and we could always do that later if the string is too high.


Since I don't have the proper tool for cutting wood, I just used the same hand drill to drill some holes along the cutting line... and then use a simple cutter to cut carefully.


Not too bad?  Notice that we you decide where to put the pickup module, check the inside of the Ukulele to see if there's reinforcement structures inside.  Avoid them if possible.


Finally, drill where you should put the plug it, and this is relatively simple.  I used a thread to help me pull the socket out from inside.



Install the pickup panel, and this is the hardest part.


A complete success...