Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Giving a new life to an aged notebook

My Sony Vaio U3 was designed for Windows XP and it has been doing well in the past, and it runs smoothly.  However, with the accumulated security update and new functionality, it was getting slower and slower gradually to a point which is near useless.  I've tried to reinstall the whole thing from scratch but then it was still slow to an unacceptable level.

Without a bootable removable device, I proceeded to do a PXE install via network.  I found tfptd32 a perfect and simple application for that purpose since it serves as both DHCP and tftp at the same time.  At first, I tried to install Ubuntu but after the long installation process, I found it's too slow as well.

I suspected that it was a result of imperfect Crusoe support (probably obsolete) in newer kernel.  By following the instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LongRunHowTo

I managed to verify that my initial worry was invalid.  Then, I proceed to install lubuntu instead.  lubuntu has no PXE boot in mind, but then you can always install the base system via any other Ubuntu favor.  When you were asked what packages to install, you may skip all packages and do it by hand afterward.  Detail instructions on PXE install can be found here:


https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot


After the installation of the base system, you may login via a text screen.  And then you may install the lubuntu-desktop package via apt-get.  And believe it or not, this is even faster than a straight PXE installation.

And after that, it would be nice to do the following:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

in order to install a number of non-free stuff.